Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Yes, yes

Whisper of God Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm. 2 Corinthians 1:24 Observation I'm feeling a little better this morning. I'm not the only pastor to have broken a promise or had to deal with conflict in the church. Paul visited Corinth on the way to Macedonia and intended to visit them again on his way back to Judea. Something change his plans so that the Corinthians accused him of saying, "yes" and "no." This conflict caused Paul's response about the message of Christ. It is always, "yes." As a result he writes one of my favorite verses about the promises of God bing "yes" in Christ Jesus. Here is an example of what Paul told the Romans that "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." We are not told here what the difficulties were in Corinth. Paul's first letter to this church shows us that Corinth is far from perfect and this letter will remove any doubt we might have about finding the perfect church. Paul calls God as witness that by not coming to Corinth the church was spared. Paul would have told them strongly what they needed to hear. But Paul concludes with this statement. It is not to lord or rule over the Corinthians. Rather it is to work with them for joy as together they stand firm in faith. Real Life Application I need to let God renew my love for the church so they can receive from me with joy and the strengthening of their faith. Day's Prayer Lord, I confess that my strength of doing things on my own is a weakness to sometimes engage or confront people when needed. Help me first to build loving relationships involving others in the ministry at the church. Only then can I have the credibility to speak truth into their lives when needed. Holy Spirit keep me humble so that like Paul I never give in to the temptation to "lord over" the church. You are the Lord and I am a servant to wash the feet of Your Bride. Forgive me for letting my love or commitment for the church to be "yes" and "no." Increase my love for the church so that like You the "yes" of unwavering commitment is seen and Your promises are in turn fulfilled.

No comments: