Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Don't Act In Haste

Whisper of God
The priest replied, “The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the Valley of Elah, is here; it is wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod. If you want it, take it; there is no sword here but that one.”

David said, “There is none like it; give it to me.”


Observation
When Jonathan confirmed that his father King Saul intended to kill David, David was forced to flee for his life. David knew that Saul would still try to hunt him down, but because he left in such haste he was unprepared to defend himself. Yet God provided a weapon unlike any other. The sword of Goliath which David had used to behead the giant after striking him with a stone was in the possession of the priest at Nob.
As David's story continues to unfold he is engaged in many battles. Most likely this sword was used with skill by David. Yet on those occasions when Saul sought out David and the Lord gave David the opportunity to take Saul's life, David refused to strike down the Lord's anointed. Even though God provided David with a sword, a sword which had previously been one of his enemies, David did not use this weapon against the one enemy that had vowed to take his life. 
In everything David trusted God and refused to take even the sword God provided into his own hands.

Real Life Application
God has promised to provide for me, to even give that which belonged to the wicked to His righteous one's. I must like David continue to trust God and not be quick to use my own wisdom and waste what God provides as I think is best.

Day's Prayer
Lord Jesus I give you thanks for the ways You have provided for me and my family. I confess that sometimes I am too quick to act and may waste what you have provided. Forgive me when I act in haste even when it is obvious that You have provided. Help me to like David trust you with the outcome in everything and not be in a hurry to do things myself.

No comments: